Monday, June 27, 2011

Interview with Psychic Babble!

Here at Pure Vibe, we love getting our audience involved! That being said, we gave our friend Tom the chance to interview Colin of Circa Survive about his new and amazing new project, Psychic Babble. Check out our interview:

 
 

1. I’m a big fan of what you do in circa and was happy to hear that you were going to be coming out with some other music. What made you decide to start Psychic Babble?


It kind of started by accident. I'm always recording music but about 5 years ago I started hearing these melodies and chord progressions in my head that felt much different then what I do in Circa. They felt personally bound to me and were often a direct result of some kind of event in my life or feeling/obsession in my head that I felt compelled to express with my own voice, words, etc. It's ultimately an exercise/experiment in creative freedom and personal expression.

2. For those who don’t know you already, could you tell us a little about yourself?



I'm 29 years old, I have blue eyes and enjoy long walks on the beach. HAHA I dont really know what you need to know, but the answer to that question is inside of these songs.

3. The sound of Psychic Babble is pretty unique, what are some of the influences you have musically?



I'm inspired by so many artists. To list some... The Beach Boys, Peter Gabriel, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Portishead, The Beatles... that's like the classic stuff and then I'm just constantly searching for new music these days. There's so much good stuff that it is overwhelming! I'm very inspired by Toro Y Moi, Kurt Vile, Puro Instinct, Panda Bear and about a zillion others. The key ingredient for good music to me is honesty.

4. You just recently revealed the album cover for your album coming out this summer, what made you decide on that picture for the cover?


Well it's weird because I paint alot and I think most of my friends expected me to paint the cover art but I just felt like that picture kind of says it all. It's me as a kid and when I look at it, it transports me back to when I can remember music first taking hold of my mind. I'm obviously trying out for the Beach Boys in that picture, surfing on a sled in a baby pool. It's representative of the journey from then to now, which is how i see the album as well.

5. What made you decided on the title “My Brother’s Ears/ My Sister’s Eyes”?



Well before I had named it I was listening to the rough cuts of the songs with my brother. A lot of musicians say that when you listen to your own music with other people, you listen with their ears or you kind of project what you think they're feeling/thinking when they're listening and I just felt so awesome about my songs when I listened with him. I didn't have any of those weird shitty feelings that I often would get when listening with others. And then I was around my sister the next day and I felt like looking at the world through her eyes put this romantic glaze over everything. She is young and full of intense energy that is inspiring to be around. 
6. After releasing the album, what do you plan on doing going forward with Psychic Babble?


I think the beauty of this project is in its looseness. It can be whatever I want it to be. I think ill just keep making records and other interesting musical endeavors. Yenta is my own label and I think that's kind of half of the equation here. It's another channel for me to express myself so maybe I'll start putting out my friend's music and things like that. I really dont know. The future is wide open and unknown. 

7. As far as I can tell the album is available via only digital download or vinyl, why have you decided to leave out cds as part of the release?

I just think for this project it makes sense. It's less physical material/waste, less cost of goods and in general I think that the format is on its way out. If people want a CD that badly they will burn it from a digital copy. I'm a vinyl collector so that's where my heads at with this. It might bum a few people out but ive heard very little complaining about it.
8. When does My Brother’s Ears/ My Sister’s Eyes come out?


August 16th worldwide! 
9. Thanks for the interview, is there anything else you would like to say?

          Thank you very much for thinking of me. xoxo


And there you have it. We want to thank and congratulate Tom for helping us out and getting a great interview!

If you're interested in Psychic Babble, you can follow this link and find out everything you need to know about his upcoming album and YOU GET A FREE SONG OFF THE ALBUM. Yes, FREE. Follow the link:


No comments:

Post a Comment